Wolfgang P. Kalny
- born in 1957 in Vienna, Austria
- married to Ursula since 1982, two sons (born in 1985 and 1986)
- Interests: Sports (Golf, Tennis, Mountain Scrambling, Skiing – Downhill and Nordic, Ballroom Dancing), Music (Jazz, Classic), Photography, Travelling, Technology
Member of “Rotary”, Member of “The Austrian Cercle of Technicians Association”, Member of "Colony Club Gutenhof" - a leading golf club in Austria, Member of "HTV - Hietzinger Tennis Vereinigung", Member of "Österreichischer Alpenverein - Austrian Association of Alpinists"
- Author of the book "Fall in Love... With Tanzania" a travel report in images
- Information Management & Telecommunications
- Financial Management & Controlling
- Transport & Logistics
- Rail Infrastructure & Telematics
Professional Expertice and Experience
- Artificial Intelligence and Cognitive Computing
- Robotic Process Automation
- Secure Authentication Technology (PKI)
- Blockchain Technology
- Smart Card Technology
- IT Security
- IT Service Management according to ITIL
- IT Architecture
- Software Development
- Cell phone technology (especially GSM-R and Interconnection)
- Unified Communications
- Smart Building Technology
- Managing functions in companies of different sizes and different industries
- Total commitment to the principles of profitability and delivering business success
- Strong focus on team approach, delegation of responsibilities, empathy and appreciation
- Comprehensive experience in change management and post merger integration
- Strong commitment to Management by Objectives and regular progress reporting as an effective feedback loop.
- Project Management
- Developing recently established ÖBB-Business Competence Center GmbH, the multi-functional service provider for the complete ÖBB group, by integrating some 1400 employees of different organizational units into one service provider with a harmonized product and service portfolio for IT-, HR-, Accounting- and Procurement-services, harmonized processes and a united organizational culture.
- Heading the IT program management at Rail Cargo Hungaria for the post merger integration
- Preparing and executing the exit project for LOGICO Smart Card Solutions GmbH
- Heading the program management at ONE Ltd. for the roll out of 2500 mobile phone base stations in 24 months.
- Process Management
- Introduction of a process oriented organization at ÖBB-Business Competence Center GmbH and documenting all core processes for building up a harmonized multi-functional service management.
- Adoption of an existing process management team to build up a process oriented application demand management at Rail Cargo Austria AG
- Introduction of a process oriented organization at ONE GmbH by accomplishing some 900 process documents
Since 2017 Kalny Future Business Beteiligungs- und Beratungsgesellschaft mbH, Vienna, Austria
- Since 11.1.2017: Founder and CEO of Kalny Future Business GmbH
The company was established on 11.1.2017 by Wolfgang Kalny and provides consultancy and management services on designing, planning and executing digital transformation strategies with strong focus on topics in the areas of digital economy, robotics process automation of back-office processes (specifically providing services for shared service centers), applications in artificial intelligence, cybernetics, blockchaining, cryptography as well as general methodological support like process and project management, change management, and knowledge management.
2007 to 2016 ÖBB - Group (Austrian Railway Corporation)
- 2014 to 2016: Managing Director of ÖBB – Business Competence Center GmbH
The company was established as a merger between ÖBB-SSC GmbH and ÖBB-IKT GmbH. Responsibility as the managing Director of this company for the organizational unit of Financial Services and Controlling. In addition, an organizational unit of “Service and Solution Management” was established.
In this function following topics were covered: enforcement of process and project management, optimization of processes and organizational structures, development of automated processes, increase of productivity in administrative processes, etc.
- 2013 to 2014: Managing Director of ÖBB-SSC GmbH
Managing Director and program manager to build and establish a Financial Shared Service Center for ÖBB. This Service Center (FiS – Financial Services) commenced operations on July 1st, 2013 and employs some 380 accounting experts. The program C3A to establish FiS started on Dec. 12th, 2012 and was closed on June 30th, 2014.
- 2010 to 2012: Managing Director of ÖBB-IKT GmbH
Managing Director of the recently founded ÖBB-IKT GmbH, the central IT- and Telecommunication Service Provider of the complete ÖBB-Group, having some 1200 people employed and achieved a revenue of € 186 Mio in 2011.
- 2008-2010: Head of Information Services of Rail Cargo Austria AG
Program Manager in the Post Merger Integration program between Rail Cargo Austria AG and MÀV Cargo specifically for the programs "IT Architecture Development" and "Application Migration Program"
Head of Information Services at Rail Cargo Austria AG
- 2007-2008: Consultant in ÖBB-Holding AG
Expert at ÖBB Group Controlling directly involved with a number of acquisition projects, amongst others carrying out the due diligence analysis and preparing the post merger integration project for MAV Cargo, the Hungarian Cargo Railway Corporation.
2003 to 2007 LOGICO Smart Card Solutions AG
- Managing Director
Logico is a high tech start-up enterprise employing some 25 individuals and a revenue of € 2,0 Mio in 2006, developing software in the field of IT security. Especially, secure user authentication using smart “cards and codes” and the topic of identity management are the main focus.
In 2006 a planned strategic exit of the invested venture captial fund could be accomplished. Logico was acquired by VASCO Data Security NV, Belgium, the leading supplier of one-time-Password tokens.
2000 to 2002 KPNQwest Austria Ges.mbH
- Sales Director and Member of the Management Team
in this role responsible for the total revenue of the Austrian subsidiary of KPNQwest N.V. of some € 25 Mio (35% growth rate compared to 2000) and an achieved target performance in 2001 of 99,7%. The sales team was composed of 15 key account managers, 3 partner coaches for the indirect channel as well as 10 team members in the back office, one technical sales support person and a two person call center for answering incoming presales calls.
1997 to 2000 ONE - Ges. für Telekommunikation mbH
Head of „Program Management
- with 12 team members, responsible for deploying a complete set of management methods into the start up company, especially in the areas of project management, process management, and knowledge management. In the pre-launch phase, the main focus was defined in setting up core and detailed processes and their documentation in close co-operation with Marketing, Sales, and Customer care (some 900 process documents were completed during this phase). The second part of this function included the development, updating, progress reporting of the master project plan for the roll out of the radio network. This project supported successfully the build up of some 1800 radio masts between December 1997 and the launch of the mobile network in October 1998.
- Head of „Interoperator Relations“
this function managed all relations to other national and international networks in terms of economic, legal and technical aspects (Interconnection, Roaming) as well as any agreements to Internet- and Content service Provider.
1996 to 1997 THONET Ges.m.b.H. & Co KG
- Chief Financial and Technical Officer
1992 to 1997 MUSIL Ges.m.b.H.
- Managing Director
Turnaround of a medium sized enterprise (25 employees, ca. 40 Mio ÖS turnover p.a.), Industry Sector: Furniture for special applications, for private, corporate and governmental customers
1986 to 1992 ISOVOLTA, Wr. Neudorf
- Assistant to Managing Board,
Responsible for production and development
- Production Manager in Wr. Neudorf facility
for High Pressure Laminate (Furniture Boards) division
- Division Manager for High Pressure Laminates
including Marketing, Sales, Product Development and Production Facilities (900 Mio ÖS turnover p.a.)
1983 to 1986 HEWLETT-PACKARD, Wien
- Support Engineer for industrial application software systems in the fields of Automization, CAD, Quality Assurance and Production Planning in close co-operation with Marketing and Sales
- Academic education in Electronic Engeneering, in-depth studies in Industrial Electronics and Control Engineering at the Technical University, Vienna
Graduation to Master of Sciences (Diplom Ingenieur) with distinction in December 1981
- Academic education in Microeconomics, in-depth studies in Operations Research and Economic Informatics at the University of Economics and Business Science, Vienna. Graduation to Master of Economics and Business Sciences (Magister rer.soc.oec.) in March 1983
- German (mother tongue)
- English (fluent and very experienced due to close family ties to the U.S. and Canada)
- From 1987 to 1997 member of the Austrian Association of Young Enterpreneurs and Managers as a subsidiary of the Austrian Association of Industry, 1994 to 1997 member of the Managing Board of that Association, 1996 to 1997 Chairman of the Board. In this function also member of the Board of the European Association "YES (Young EnterpreneurS) for Europe".
- From 1997 to 2000 voting member of the General Assembly of FTW (Forschungszentrum Telekommunikation Wien) as well as member of the supervisory board thereof in 2000
edited in January 2017